Confirmed!

SUP Club 2025 – October Sundowner…

Info

We selected full autumn mode for SUP Club last night as we took on one of our favourites: the down-tide downwinder (or as it turned out, effectively offshore cross-winder!) from Shoebury to Chalkwell. Conditions could hardly have been better as we paddled through the pier after sunset and on into dusk and twilight – before some super-slick logistics back to the start, then dinner and drinks at our favourite ’spoons. 

Venue: Shoebury Common Beach (SS3 9QR, near Thorpe Bay) to Chalkwell (SS0 8JH) one-way
Arrive: c.4.50pm
Launch:
after 5.20pm briefing
Finish: c.7.10pm
Level: Strong, experienced coastal paddlers only

As always with a downwinder, we reserve the right to take a look at the water and change our mind for SUP Club tonight! But after this year’s few turned out so genuinely lovely (and given yesterday was much less breezy and more northerly than forecast) we’re hoping to score similarly perfect conditions if we’re lucky. (Yet if we’re not, there’s always the risk of carnage and chaos. Oh, and it’s likely to be pretty chilly. And we’re finishing in the dark too! You have been warned…) Because this week the tides – a neapy 20.25 high (at 4.83m) – and north-easterly wind look to be set up just right for one of our favourites: the down-tide / downwinder.

Given an 18.03 sunset, we will be paddling through sunset and well into dusk / twilight, in something between dead flat (as yesterday) and somewhat ‘corrugated’ (as Monday) conditions… Really not too bad, we’d anticipate, maybe just a bit challenging at worst – so definitely bring lights, a fast yet comfortable board, and your big boy / girl pants!

So, standard repeated warning for this set-up: it could turn out a tad ‘hardcore’ as we’re going to embrace a north-easterly breeze for a potentially choppy downwider. It’s forecast cross-offshore enough that we’re expecting it should turn out good and flat on the flood tide with a cross-tailwind the whole way … although inevitably it always tends to get at least a bit choppy under the pier and near the casino. Yet there are never any guarantees exactly how this pans out. If we’re unlucky and that breeze veers easterly, we’re potentially looking at some seriously challenging conditions (big rolling chop with bounceback) that really won’t be viable for some. (In which case, they / we need to be prepared not to launch after all…) So we need people that are confident in their abilities on the estuary. Speed is of the essence too, as we will only go as fast as our slowest paddler – yet going too slowly isn’t easy on longer, narrower boards. So if you’re of a nervous disposition or not yet keeping up with the pack at standard SUP Clubs we would ask that you please sit this one out as we’d like to keep a reasonable pace. That said, we would hope that, if the forecast models are right, the majority of our regular paddlers should be good for this one – and we do want to be as inclusive as possible. So if in any doubt whatsoever, please drop us a quick email or message us and we can advise. Anyway…

In short, we’re going to ride the flood tide up the estuary for a downwinder from Shoebury Common Beach (SS3 9QR / https://w3w.co/scared.acting.earth) to Chalkwell (www.supsect.com/thorpe-bay-downwinder-7k) – this is a one-way route, so be prepared (and suitably patient) for the inherent logistical complications! And for slight extra complexity, please remember to bring lights – just red / green LEDs for navigation, not illumination: bright whites are prohibited by executive order!

We all need to be ready to launch straight after a 5.20pm briefing from Shoebury Common Beach (SS3 9QR / https://w3w.co/scared.acting.earth). So we’d like everyone arriving by 5pm (we won’t have anyone there early enough to keep an eye on kit this week, but you could pump up / drop off boards super-early and hide them between beach huts maybe? Then drive to Chalkwell / SS0 8JH and arrange a lift, cab or any other wacky races strategy back; but against the wind, remember, back to Shoebury Common in good time for the 5.20pm briefing and launch). Or alternatively, buddy up and arrange to drop vehicles (with a Southend parking pass?) at Chalkwell on the way? Or an equally viable plan is to simply get yourself straight to the launch on time (ie; arriving by 5pm), leave your vehicle there and grab a lift back at the end with someone. This really won’t be a problem (cabs being the fallback option at c.£5 a head if necessary) and we will make sure everyone’s happily sorted and packed at Chalkwell before heading back to pick up vehicles from Shoebury Common, then off for dinner and drinks (probably up at our favourite Shoebury ‘spoons?) Remember: no stress, just do whatever works for you.

Oh, and this week the Shoebury Common car-park closes at 6.15pm, so there’s no way we can leave vehicles in there. So best to park down Ness Road, by the boat ramp, if there’s space. Or else just set up on the green and move vehicles out onto the road before the briefing?

Info
Location: Shoebury Common Beach to Chalkwell
Date: 15/10/2025
Duration: 1 Day